Wednesday, March 21, 2007

fuck school fuck you. [just for the sake of an almost rhyme]

Today I got back CT results for Econs, GP and Geography. I can say that it was a disaster, not unlike war. In fact, my papers were not even red with pen ink. Because there wasn't need to write much anyway. Just a cross. There were some pages however, which were so red that they wouldn't look much out of place during a clash between the Spartans and Persians in 300. I questioned the use of an examination designed to leave very few survivors.

Econs for example, had people who passed belonging to the top 15%. None of my business anyway. I was nowhere near to passing, subpassing or getting a decent result. I got my lowest ever result for GP. Also nowhere near to anything decent. My essay was deemed out of point, which means that it is not in agreement to the pre-set points. I asked ozy about it, and he explained to me that I have to link every paragraph back to the topic. He also told me that Singaporean teachers are very arrogant, and expect us to write an essay that force feeds every detail down ones throat. Why arrogant? Because they look down on Cambridge examiners' ability to infer. I nodded in agreement, even though I was talking to him on MSN.

As for comprehension, the main grouch was the need to paraphrase everything. I was badly penalised for lifting from the passage. As my teachers says, "If you cannot paraphrase, you are merely a parrot." I think that if I can paraphrase, I am merely a parrot who knows more words. In other words, why is there the need to paraphrase? I do not understand, perhaps never will.

I passed Geog whee!

This point here was also brought up by Zhen Yu. What is so interesting about studying? Perhaps the answer lies in the black hole. I am lazy to type it out. And if this system is flawed as I believe it is, what is the point of excelling in it? Being good at something bad is not good is it?

justin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home