Saturday, November 29, 2014

today's youth, tomorrow's dead

At this age, there suddenly comes 2 events that we will often be attending. I am, of course, talking about weddings and funerals. Weddings are a simple enough affair I suppose. You just have to feel happy for, and wish a long lasting marriage to the couple who promise to spend their whole life together, till death do them part.

Then of course death strikes, because he always does. Sometimes he takes people away quietly, sometimes with a lot more commotion, but seldom without resistance from the living. It may be because of our relationship with the one death took, or because everyone is reminded of our own mortality, and that one day, death too, will come for us.

It is especially sad and shocking to hear of people passing before their time, in which case I mean young, healthy people. which I am sure all who will have had their hopes and dreams, so cruelly denied the chance to even chase them. I suppose there is never a timely death though, because humans are greedy, and we would choose to live for as long as we can healthily. Yet, because of this shadow of mortality hanging over our heads, we hope to find meaning in our lives before our time is eventually up.

Why am I being all morbid now? First things first, I always was. I have always had a healthy(I hope) fascination with death and freedom and time, and this is like a revisiting of my old ideas, and perhaps a good way to compare how my idea of it has developed over the years. Also, just in this past week, I have seen/heard about sudden passings, a close friend's brother, an acquaintance's father, a young cricketer I've never heard of until he died. And all of a sudden, these reminders of our mortality and our fragility make me appreciate our finite time on this planet. We'll never know when it's our turn to walk beside death, to destinations unknown, because he doesn't tell us until it's time.

As the title says " today's youth, tomorrow's dead"

justin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home