Tuesday, July 29, 2008

that's a mouthful of wisdom.

I approached the side gates of Alexandra Hospital today with my mum. Today was my appointment to remove all 4 of my wisdom teeth, of which only 1 grew out but the doctor said I had to remove all of them anyway. So I walked there feeling quite relaxed, knowing that I was going to do General Anesthetic. End of introduction.

As I entered the ward, I was made to change into their operation attire, with their OT gown and an outer robe(they call it a kimono but I'm not a Japanese girl so robe it shall be). Apart from that, I also put on a silly shower cap like cap. I'm sure anyone who has caught any sort of medical show will know what it looks like. After that, I walked from the Day Ward to the place where they do such macabre operations. In my hospital attire, I squinted at the television set to see highlights of Brazil winning Singapore 3-0, after which I did the same medical survey 4 times by 4 different people, just to confirm that I'm not a liar I suppose.

After some time hearing the drills and saws but feeling strangely calm yet excited, I walked into the operating theatre, for the 1st GA in my life. I was first made to lie down and given some oxygen to inhale, while listening to the operating team chattering to me about whatever. I only clearly remember one guy being quite a handsome young man asking me about my camp and another one mistakenly regarding Sungei Gedong as an artillery camp before being corrected by the handsome young man in question. That made me feel like I was super awake and if the anesthetic was even working. I heard someone saying, you will feel something up your arm that makes you sleepy and I thought "yeah right I feel nothing" before suddenly waking up in the recovery theater, extraction completed. It was like an hour of my life just gone missing. I had no recollection of what happened whatsoever. No dreams, just like a blink and I was back to the future. With a whole new swollen jaw look.

I clearly remembered regaining consciousness when the nurses were pushing me back to the Day Ward to recover from bleeding gums. But the pain was there and I did not wish to stay awake so I tried to sleep the pain away. When I got back to the day ward, all I remembered was asking for a drink because my throat felt like the Sahara Desert at that point in time. When I finally got some water, I realised I had a sore throat also. Not fun. I also thanked my mum for getting me whipped potato which I requested for before the operation. But after the surgery, I wasn't confident that I could consume any sort of food at all. So I waited until I reached home to consume it lukewarm.

And then there are the equally rambly things, such as 8 days MC, medication, all of which I do not have interest in other than painkillers. I also bought 2 new Roald Dahl short stories collections for my week-long stay at home. Here I would also like to thank SJ for 顺便 visiting me after her movie at Tiong Bahru Plaza and consequently thrashing me at Guitar Hero. And everyone who asked me how it was. And Ah Yeong who advised me to eat solid food anyway, despite the doctor's instructions to eat porridge, and his great whipped potato idea.

Now this is really a mouthful. Or a handful.

justin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home