Sunday, September 09, 2012

welcome to trolland, where the polish live.

I'm doing this entry in Prague as I try to stir up memories of Krakow, Poland, but I think stirring them up in chronological order is too much to ask of my brain. So I will start with what I remember the most vividly. The people.

Having never stayed in a hostel within a building before, Greg and Tom Hostel looked pretty much like a sleazy establishment. The door was locked, and we had to buzz the reception, and then walk up 3 flights of stairs to reach the reception. When the door opened, we winced, for the light coming from the smile was too dazzling, like that from a tiny mouth sized sun. It was Toads true love, Karolka (somehow pronounced as Karolina). "Hello!" She said, "You can't check in yet, but drop your bags and go for breakfast! =D" You might wonder why I left an emoticon, but I assure you it is absolutely necessary. By the way, breakfast meant FREE breakfast provided by the hostel. That's not the point though. The point was that it felt like home. 

After breakfast, Karolka (whom I forgot to mention, other than being Toads true love, was also our receptionist for the day) used her Google pen (term coined by Adam with the bicycle in Budapest) to show us places we could go for food, and where might be interesting to see. And so we set off, having not checked in, to explore this city which we grew to love. For the whole day. With our bags in the lounge area. When we returned to Greg and Tom, at the shady building, our receptionist had changed. It was Adam, who would become my smoking buddy for the next 3 nights. So we checked in without much event, and met some people for dinner, including John, an old American war veteran, the New Yorker (whose story I will cover later), and the Sarong Party Girl with cankles (we did not know yet at the time, the level of disgust we would all feel). Then we split into 2 rooms, me and YY in one room with some unfriendly Brit people, and Tees, Vern and Toad in another room with some other people. We slept.

So this kind of concludes day 1 of Krakow, 6 days ago. Part 2 will follow when I remember more stuff, or rather, feel like writing more.

justin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home