Saturday, August 25, 2012

why wasn't that fast?

When I meant I should post more often, I didn't mean make another post immediately. Though yes. Here it is.

I was thinking of how I brought a camera over to Sweden, and how it hasn't been used yet. Currently, all the photos I've taken have been with my phone camera, which I think works just as well, and also has the capabilities to upload the pictures onto the interwebs immediately. I know people can just grab it and claim it as their own and shit, but go ahead. I take shit photographs anyway.

What I was really thinking though, was that cameras sometimes do spoil the experience of travelling. Right? I think sometimes when travelling, it's more important to soak in the atmosphere, take in the scenery. When you're looking through the lenses, searching for a perfect moment to capture, that perfect moment is seen through the camera lens and not your own eyes. I believe it's some internet wisdom I read somewhere(or maybe I made it up), but I believe it makes at least some kind of sense. I think pictures should be taken AFTER you've decided you've seen enough. Though yes, I am sometimes guilty of wanting to capture a shot of something I think is beautiful, or that I wish to share. However, the pictures, however well taken, would not do the beauty of the actual subject justice most of the time. Though yes, good pictures are important for memory. But I think the photographs are there for a purpose. To trigger the memory that you have for the place that you visited, and the things you did.

Also speaking of which, cameras, more specifically webcams, or even more specifically skype, does help one to connect with people around the world. Skyping with family or friends in this cold-ish room does make it seem a lot more cosy. So yeah, maybe sometimes, I should stop taking my phone to point and shoot at something, and just use my eyes, and save the image not into a memory card, but into my brain.

justin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home