Saturday, December 09, 2006

smile! singapore. situational social commentary of some sort.

I was making my way home from Orchard Road after an unsuccessful attempt to find FM2007. While walking along the road, I suddenly recalled something funny that was stuck in the back of my mind, surfacing occasionally at the weirdest times(such as this) and suddenly broke into a huge retarded looking grin. I realised how lucky I was that noone was around at that time. Or I would have been stared at like I was some moronic creature grinning at nothing in particular.

However, as I contorted my face back into the expressionless look preferred by most Singaporeans, I realised that I was, in fact, grinning at something. They just didn't know what it was. Furthermore, I get the feeling that walking with a smile on your face would only be weird if you were in Singapore. In other countries, if I was grinning at nothing(to others) in particular, it would be interpreted as "that guy is happy". In Singapore, what runs across the minds of most people would be "QUICK! WHAT IS THE NUMBER TO IMH! IT IS AN EMERGENCY! THERE IS A PATIENT SMILING TO HIMSELF ON THE ROAD!!" or "I BET THIS MORON STUDIES IN [insert school name] SPECIAL SCHOOL".

The next thing I wondered was why Singaporeans had to be so uptight. It brought my mind to the Smile Singapore campaign, the one where there were pictures of people smiling. I mean, if you had to be taught by the government to smile, it must be really quite sad. Maybe if everyone could just relax and smile a little more, it would be okay to break into a moronic grin at nothing in particular once in a while.

justin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home