Thursday, April 10, 2008

where do we go now?

Today, I worry about my future. My current classmates are mostly from JCs(of course I mean the army ones because my JC classmates are definitely from JCs), thus the topic of university admission pops up rather often in conversations. Some of them have been asking whether others have gotten phone calls, emails to go for interviews. So far, I have had none, and with my mediocre results and mediocre-rer non-academic contributions, I do not expect a call anytime soon. Or not so soon. As such, I worry about what my future brings. Which is quite scary because I don't believe I am the worrying sort. I seem to worry alot for a non-worrying sort, though I personally believe it's more thoughtful consideration and thinking for the future.

The overseas educated guy says "Go overseas! Overseas is good." And two of my classmates agree.

"Yes it's much more open in the Western culture."

"I think I will go to UK or USA or Australia."

They begin talking about how much more open the Western culture is and how they want to adopt it. I tell them my view of Western countries being better for Western people and how we Asian people become degraded to 2nd class citizens there. They believe that only the Asians who remain conservative get picked on and that they themselves prefer to be more open.

Open is a very general world. So general it is bigger than Lieutenant General Desmond Kuek, who happens to be the well respected chief of army and is nothing to do with this post. Most people have different ideas of open. And if one wants to embrace the "open-ness" of Western Culture, I believe that one will lose their roots and the traditional Eastern values which tie us to our family and kins. I digress however.

The thing about going to overseas universities is that the average Singaporean employer would look at the overseas educated student in a better light, despite the university not being as good as one of the local universities. That is a wonderful thing. For those who go that is. One can also learn to be independent and live off themselves.(yeah right who am I kidding? All the money comes from the pockets of parents slogging their asses off to feed their son/daughter partying the years away overseas.)

However, as mentioned in the brackets, it will be a big financial burden to parents. I wonder why I have this bracket commentary thing since the whole post is my own commentary anyway. Secondly, as also mentioned in the weird bracket thing I like to use, there is the high possibility of the lack of discipline, culminating in consequences ranging from partying all night long, taking drugs, contacting STD's, becoming parents, dying, picking up all sorts of vices. Of course, this is the extreme case and most people educated overseas turn out to be fine young gentlemen and ladies(who party all night long, take drugs, have STD's and kids and dead friends).

Another possible solution is SIM, the 4th local university widely frowned upon by most people. They say "Aiya, no good one la." without saying why. I also don't have much idea about this and I haven't even explored the idea of going there as it seems that I am gravitating towards a more arts based course in whatever place is willing to accept me.

Of course, as of now, I am hoping for a letter or email or call from one of them universities which I applied for, asking me to go for an interview or outerview or saying that they had accepted me already. Otherwise, I might just go to an iversity, which in case you guys didn't know, is the opposite of university.

Thank you all so much for wasting your time reading a load of absolute garbage.

justin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home