Friday, April 18, 2008

finally friday. fuck flu.

It's Friday. Always a good day, especially after a grueling week at work/school/other places. Friday, you could say, is like the link-man between the weekdays and the weekends. Friday is especially pleasing if you haven't been home since Thursday morning, spending the night in camp, in the rain, doing sentry duty. Sentry duty is a torture.

Freedom is less than 50 steps away, beyond the criss-cross of green and the coils of concertina wires(beautiful name for something quite the opposite of it) above them. This is otherwise known as a fence. In the day, free men and women walk beyond the fences, among the hustle and bustle of the buses and cars and motorbikes, while I was bound in the camp, shackled not by chains, but by rules and the call of duty. The night was silent, yet equally torturous.

Envy was just one of the emotions which made guard duty difficult. There was the ever present boredom, gripping me by my ankles, prompting me to check my watch every 3minutes or so, believing much longer had passed and that the clocks in camp were all purposely slowed down. The rustle of a plastic bag was deafening. The gray cat with black stripes was a welcome companion. But it left in disdain, seeing that I had no food to offer it except tapioca chips with chili sauce. Not exactly gourmet cat fare. As the hands of the clock lost their race with snails, my eyelids were losing their battle with gravity. Even at a standing position, keeping awake was not the easiest of tasks. Not until the sky started pissing on me. At the end of the storm however, there was a beautiful arc in the sky. A full arc of rainbow stretching across the blue sky, which unfortunately was still pissing. In the bright and warm sunshine.

Which leads me to the next topic of flu, which I believe myself to be suffering from right now, as a consequence of being drenched in(more like sprinkled with) sky piss on a hot day. I shall not share the symptoms since everyone has had flu. But it is extremely uncomfortable to have a nose which readily lets liquid through but not air. At the same time it manages to turn me into a Rudolph clone from the excessive rubbing I have done(and am still doing) to it. I dislike it so please allow me a whine. We all know only real men whine.

justin.

p.s. The part about the rainbow was real. I did not make it up. We all know I do not like to lie and exaggerate about stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home