Saturday, August 18, 2007

a little social commentary again.

It's about my brother and his little friends. I guess this will be one of the entries that I will look into adding into my new literary project(read: I dunno what but I must make myself look cool and intellectual). Anyway my brother being the social animal he is-- at least I think-- has no shortage of friends, some of which I know and some of which I have to know because they are MY friends but he knows almost all of them and therefore they could be his friends though technically they are still my friends. So anyway onto the subject.

My brother makes friends much more easily than I, because unknown to many, I have a shy side of me I hide quite well. I do not open up easily to new people but I am friendly enough(I hope) not to come across as an arrogant prick. Therefore, unlike my little social animal brother, I have a tight group of friends(I hope but am quite confident that I do not need to but I hope anyway just in case) enough to be counted with my fingers and toes, maybe less. And I am still digressing!

Recently however, one of my brothers closer friends "betrayed" him and pissed my brother off majorly. He is 13 and my brother 14 so I would technically label it under childish quarreling. But my little brother seemed serious about it this time. He went about deleting that kid in question's number from his handphone and stuff. I was like wow. Despite my brother being an irritating little tit at times, I still love him like all elder brothers love their little brothers(I hope all elder brothers love their little brothers.) because theres nothing like brotherly love. Some people claim brotherhood with anyone except their own blood brother. Some sibling rivalry huh? So anyway, I asked him what happened.

So it turned out this 13 year old China boy who is my neighbour and whom I know and my brother has known for the past what 5-6 years, is a serial liar. According to my brother, he lies about everything, from the reasons which my brother cannot go to his house to how he hasn't been secretly training and gaining levels for the silly internet game known as "Audition". And recently, my brother "caught him in the act". He went to have my brothers friend over at his place and refused my brother entry. This is an outright rejection, which of course my brother would not have taken too well to. If it had been me when I was 14, that kid might have earnt himself a bloody nose or a kick in the balls or something. No actually I wouldn't have resorted to violent measures. But that kid would have been locked out of my friends circle forever. No chance of ever coming back in. But he wouldn't have made it in my friends circle anyway. I do not take too well to little China boys who have girlfriends at primary 6 and play games like "Maple Story" and "Audition".

Then I thought about myself. I had friends whom I have known for a long time. My neighbour friends whom I have known since 9 or 10, playing football. And we still play football up till this day. Secondary schoolmates, several of which closer than others. However, despite my cautious way of making friends, I realise that I am not immune to this nonsense as well. I have had my fair share of shitty friends. And that maybe I need to let my brother learn from his experience. Furthermore, he is still at the age where I have just began making my really good friends. I think.

But what I think is that perhaps, computer gaming age kids would have more difficulty making good friends. Why? I shall explore this another time because my brother is begging me for the com and I find my empathy for him quickly diminishing. But I shall lend it to him because he is my brother.

justin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home